Re: Arch archive setup

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: Arch archive setup
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:48:10 +0100

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Andy,
>
> I read this email, and modulo the changes in the web proposal, it sounds
> fine to me. Some queries, of course...
>
> On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 17:36, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>> In each category, I will setup a dev-0 branch, wich will carry current
>> development version (similiar to CVS HEAD). I think it will be best to
>> use taglines throughout the project.
>
> Why would it be best to use taglines? I'm not opposed or in favor, I've
> just used explicit tagging until now. So why taglines?

Explicit tagging is OK too. Taglines have the nicety that you don't
have to remember to 'tla mv' the IDs (and the 'changes' output is
nicer, since it doesn't list the .id files :-).

>> [ Wingo: It would be really nice to know about your state wrt. syncing
>>   with my tree, since we need an agreed-upon source base to start
>>   with. ]
>
> I think we're up-to-date now, with the changeset I posted, no?

I'm not sure which changeset you mean (the pre-holiday mail)? This has
been integrated into CVS and my Arch branch. My branch is basically
CVS + 'Changes that need new g-wrap'.

>  We'll only really be collaborating when we branch off of the same
> archive.

Indeed. So maybe it's best to start with what's in CVS now. After
Friday, I'll have time to set up an archive (semester break, yeah!).

>> glib--dev--0:       As above
>> glib--main--0.6:    Branched from dev-0 when GLib 2.4 is released.
>> Development
>>                     for the GLib 2.4 series goes on here.
> [...]
>
> It seems you've changed your mind about the version numbers, in your web
> proposal. That's probably a good thing. However, we can't promise that
> the GTK 2.6 bindings will be backwards-compatible with the 2.4 bindings,
> since things are still in flux on the gobject level (although they might
> be settling down a bit).

So I guess this would mean we probably need to branch before we
activly start hacking on GNOME 2.6 features.

Cheers, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

Latein ist das humanoide Äquivalent zu Fortran.
   -- Alexander Bartolich in at.linux