guix-devel

Re: Website translation

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Website translation
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 17:08:36 +0200

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 11:16:21PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I think we now have an overview of the possibilities (including maybe
> ‘itstool’ that Ricardo mentions.)  I’d say that whoever is interested
> should give it a try with what looks like the most promising approach
> and report back with a prototype.  :-)

I tried to make gettext usable (not yet implementing any discussed
approach), but it is a little rough: I tried using msgctxts.  Sadly
Guile is missing a pgettext function, I think.  Should I use Guile’s
ffi?  I think msgctxts could help with fragmentation, as I would
prefer format strings with msgctxt over HTML-that-is-not-SHTML with
itstool (I may misunderstand itstool though).

sirgazil (Cc), long ago at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2017-12/msg00071.html>
you said you had written an interleave function for format strings.
Do you have the code somewhere?  I see in the commit log you are still
actively working on the Guix website.

Also, I believe this discussion is actually
<https://issues.guix.info/issue/26302>.  Should I reference this
thread there?

Regards,
Florian