Re: FW: Location revisited, column tracking...

From: W. L. Estes
Subject: Re: FW: Location revisited, column tracking...
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:19:18 -0400

On Wednesday, 17 July 2002,13:34 +0300, Valkanas Nikos wrote:

> > I will reiterate
the major problem of simple, brilliant software. It eventually gets
bloated and it disappears or gets replaced. Already flex has shown
signs of bloating. Enough to justify the development of another little
program that doesn't do as much, but it is faster at what it does. One
can say that a program will get replaced if it doesn't offer new
features. I don't consider that replacement. A new program might offer
smt different than flex, that will not replace flex, as long as flex
is the best at what it does. Flex will be replaced only when smt else
becomes better at the same things.  > > I would be much happier if new
features were added without sacrificing performance. In other words
make it faster and use these savings to add new features.

John is aware of the performance issues as well as the issues
surrounding feature bloat. I think that we can, at some point soon,
add location tracking and still put out a good, fast scanner
generator.

--Will