Re: Location revisited, column tracking...

From: John Millaway
Subject: Re: Location revisited, column tracking...
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:18:06 -0700 (PDT)

> If your goal is to provide a stripped down service serving a niche,
> indeed.  ``Professional'' use of Flex won't be able to use it then.

Who are these "professionals" and why can't they grasp the simple concept that
an OPTIONAL feature in flex means you DO NOT have to use it. Every modification
to flex that I have made requires a corresponding %option to enable it, and is
completely preprocessed out of the scanner if that %option is not specified.
It's a free lunch for those who want it.

> As I demonstrated, what matters is to know what is to be done,
> because, there is precisely not much to be done.

Knowledge is not the problem here. The problem is wasted time debugging,
reinventing the same code over again, and the fragile distribution of the
location tracking code across all the actions. If it were in one place, and
handled by flex, then your scanner actions would be cleaner, and you'd save
time.