Re: Location revisited, column tracking...

From: John Millaway
Subject: Re: Location revisited, column tracking...
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:11:30 -0700 (PDT)

> In particular, I was pointing out that Flex does not know what the user
> calls `end of line', it can be \n, or \r\n, or \0, or several of them.

Be realistic. If '\n' is the default line terminator, then flex will
cover most cases. For the rest of the cases, you neither gain nor lose
anything compared to the current scanner.

> And what you point out is even more
> use-dependent that merely tracking the cursor: location can be ranges,
> can be across files, depend on what is considered a comment or white
> space etc.

I don't know how you can say this. The best part of column tracking
is that bison does half the work for you! The other half of the work
requires thankless fiddling with line/column counters in flex
actions.