Re: [Help-glpk] Option to set to generate all solutions

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Option to set to generate all solutions
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:49:53 -0500

Since we're sharing stories of using multiple solutions...

One of the products of my group helps railways plan to route hazardous materials.  We use a specialized K-shortest path algorithm to generate a number of alternatives, which are then evaluated by another system out of our control; this evaluation is way beyond what can be modeled as a simple linear cost function.

The problem with using K-shortest paths is that in complex networks, many of the solutions are just minor variations that are very uninteresting.  In the US, consider the problem of going from the East cost to the West Coast.  If I take I-80 I go from New York to Chicago to Omaha to Salt Lake City to San Francisco.  If I take I-40, it's a southern route through Raleigh North Carolina, Memphis Tennessee, and onto Los Angeles.

But a K-shortest path algorithm generally returns minor variations, such as two I-40 routes, but one uses a bypass that goes around Knoxville and adds 5 miles to the total mileage and is dfferent by around 15 miles from the normal I-40 route.

In this case, getting all the solutions is worse than useless - it's distracting.  A lot of work is needed to weed out the minor variations from the really important differences.

I suspect this is similar to many other situations in which someone says "I want all the solutions."

-Marc