Re: Someone start maintaining luddites.el

From: Fu Yuan
Subject: Re: Someone start maintaining luddites.el
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 16:58:29 -0800

> 在 2021年12月28日,下午3:42,Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
> editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> 写道:
>

>> I think similar thing has been brought up when we were discussing changing
>> defaults in new Emacs, but I don’t remember the conclusion. Were there any
>> problems with it, is anyoneworking on that?
>
> I think the main problem is whether this file should try and mimic the
> defaults of Emacs-27, or Emacs-24, or Emacs-21, or Emacs-18, ...

It shouldn’t be hard to allow users to choose a release they want to stick to,
no? For a starter we can have Emacs 28 when 29 releases. And with each
following release we can add the previous release to possible fallback list.

Providing fall back for releases prior to 28 might not be very useful, as users
who want to old behavior must already have the configuration written in their
init file.

Yuan