Re: General Question: What if Binary Building breaks?

From: ng0
Subject: Re: General Question: What if Binary Building breaks?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 18:55:24 +0000

Hi!

On 2016-06-24(08:19:34PM+0200), christoph vogelsberg wrote:
> Hello again GuixSD-ers
>
> thanks for the last fast response! Now I face another question due to:
>
> > > My question: is there an already elabored way, documentation and so
> > > on, for this specific problem?
> >
> > The solution is to build the software from source to produce a binary
> > that is compatible with GuixSD.  Guix has a GNU Icecat package that
> > may provide a good base for this.
>
> I actually tried installing the IceCat package but my laptop got hang. It
> was heavily virtualizing so I looked up hardware requirements for
> building Firefox. I learned that 8GiB RAM (and therefor 64bit system) are
> required. So this makes this package unbuildable for me.

Maybe false, 8GiB disk space for debug build,
4GiB disk space for normal build.
There are binary substitutes for icecat (I did
not follow all of the thread so this is just
some extra info).

> Is there any solution for that case in general? I fear persons like me who
> can't efford hardware like that need to wait until a prebuild is available.

Binary substitutes.. but our build server
currently has limited disk space, so sometimes
a binary substitute is not yet available or
was removed due to garbage collection.

--
♥Ⓐ ng0
For non-prism friendly talk find me on