Re: Improvement on parallel make

From: Christophe Lyon
Subject: Re: Improvement on parallel make
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:31:44 +0100

> all-local: $(whatever local targets are)
> The main thing I assume here may be that you "inherit" this Makefile from
> an
> external project, on which you may have little influence. You want to
> improve the build time but can't afford to re-write the whole set of
> Makefiles.

Yup. Most of the code I deal with is third party source, exactly as you say.
It's fairly straightforward to create a rule with the appropriate
dependencies which goes off and builds the third-party Makefile accordingly.
If it really comes down to it, you can use .NOTPARALLEL. I've never had a
reason to need a .WAIT, and I guess that's true for a lot of other people
too.

Brendan

Sure, it's not difficult to replace
all: all-subdir all-local
by
all:
    $(MAKE) all-subdir
    $(MAKE) all-local

but, I don't want to introduce *recursive* calls to make. I find this ugly (I'm sure you know the famous paper "Recurvise Make considered harmful), it introduces unnecessary calls to make and exposes dependencies several times.

Writing
all: all-subdir .WAIT all-local
is just as easy, and it's more obvious to understand why it is written this way.

Christophe.