[Help-smalltalk] Re: [Q] GST support TCP on Windows?

From: Canol Gokel
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: [Q] GST support TCP on Windows?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:07:25 +0000 (UTC)

Paolo Bonzini <bonzini <at> gnu.org> writes:

> The fact that you have to install lots of packages is unfortunately
> independent of what build system you use.  What are (besides the
> slowness on windows) the problems you had with the autotools?
>
> Paolo

Finding and installing MinGW and MSYS is not straightforward, also MSYS looks
like abandoned or something (last .exe from year 2004. The source code of it is
updated but I couldn't install it in my last try). Unfortunately, we cannot run
away from autotools completely because we must compile Tcl/Tk and maybe some
other dependencies.

One other annoying thing is that you cannot use a program after compiling it,
directly. You should either use the MinGW command prompt to run the .exe (or it
will give errors) or pickup and place all the necessary files into a right
folder hierarchy. This kind of problems would be solved in a professional hand
and by creating an elegant installer we can save the programmers, who want to
use GST, from the setup process of a Unix like system inside Windows via MinGW.
But it is difficult for me to select the necessary files required after doing
the compile process of the dependencies and GST. It is the main difficulty I
currently have beside slowness :).