Re: Expiring nnimap messages automatically

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Expiring nnimap messages automatically
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 12:49:06 -0700

Nicolas Cavigneaux <cavigneaux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Eric, thank a lot for your reply.

>> I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like nnimap has its own server
>> variable governing expiration/expunging: ‘nnimap-expunge’
>>
>> From the manual:
>>
>>      When to expunge deleted messages.  If ‘never’, deleted articles are
>>      marked with the IMAP ‘\\Delete’ flag but not automatically
>>      expunged.  If ‘immediately’, deleted articles are immediately
>>      expunged (this requires the server to support the UID EXPUNGE
>>      command).  If ‘on-exit’, deleted articles are flagged, and all
>>      flagged articles are expunged when the group is closed.
>>
>>      For backwards compatibility, this variable may also be set to t or
>>      nil.  If the server supports UID EXPUNGE, both t and nil are
>>      equivalent to ‘immediately’.  If the server does not support UID
>>      EXPUNGE nil is equivalent to ‘never’, while t will immediately
>>      expunge ALL articles that are currently flagged as deleted (i.e.,
>>      potentially not only the article that was just deleted).
>>
>> Does that help?
>
> I just tried to set 'nnimap-expunge' to both 'on-exit and then
> 'immediate but it doesn't seems to do anything at all.

Oops, I'm sorry, that variable only governs when/whether Gnus issues an
EXPUNGE command when exiting a group, nothing directly to do with
expiry, I should have looked at that more closely. I don't use expiry so
all this is a bit confusing.

The fact that expiry happens only when you call
`gnus-summary-expire-articles-now' makes it look like the
nnmail-expiry-wait is not getting successfully set to 'immediate. If you
run this (use whatever group name you're expecting expiry to happen in):

(gnus-group-find-parameter "nnimap+Home:INBOX" 'expiry-wait)

What does it return?