POSIX (was: Re: Let's do some coding :-) )

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: POSIX (was: Re: Let's do some coding :-) )
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 02:04:31 +0200

Hi,

> There are already really good open source implementations of POSIX.

Mind to point me to those? The best I know are GNU/Linux and some BSD
variants. Quite frankly, they all suck.

We (well, most of us at least) aren't aiming at creating a perfect
system. All we really want is a considerably better implementation of
something resembling POSIX. (Including extensions that, in conjuction
with the more powerful base architecture, allow both users and
programmers to avoid the biggest problems of POSIX.)

Of course, in the long run we want to move away from POSIX; and we are
trying to create a migration path, be it through extensions, be it
through slight changes, be it through alternative interfaces where
unavoidable. But we definitely do *not* want to make POSIX applications
some kind of second class citizens.

-antrik-