Re: Let's do some coding :-)

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Let's do some coding :-)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:26:51 +0200

   Alfred may be going about it in an antisocial way, and he is
   certainly being a holier than thou little shit in his proclamations
   about the One True Way Of GNU,

Uhm, you really should learn to read.  GNU should run GNU programs, we
have GNU programs, we don't have GNU, you wish to not support POSIX,
which GNU programs assume, it follows that GNU programs won't run on
GNU, so what is the One True Way of the GNU again Oh Great
Know-it-all?  Not running GNU programs?

   The issue that we need to look at is: are his assumptions about the
   requirements for compatibility and the costs of incompatibility
   correct?  He assumes that we must throw away large quantities of
   code.

If the system doesn't support POSIX, then yes, you will have to throw
out/rewrite a lot of code.  Unless you also plan to add a POSIX layer
on top of things, which I can't imagine that you want to do when you
say things like `not create a POSIX system'.

   There is evidence that this assumption is wrong.

Prove it, port Emacs to a non-POSIX system.  Humor me.

   I will shortly post a note on this subject so that we can all
   examine this in a more structured discussion.

So as always, you resort to academia: Theory with vauge ties to
reality.