Re: design goals vs mechanisms (was: Re: Let's do some coding :-)

From: Brian Brunswick
Subject: Re: design goals vs mechanisms (was: Re: Let's do some coding :-)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:14:15 +0100

On 27/10/05, Jonathan S. Shapiro <address@hidden> wrote:
> Several people here have said "Linux sucks". If so, then there must be
> some part of the Linux experience that people find frustrating. What is
> it, and how can it be improved in a fundamental way?

Thats a good question to consider - lets think at the highest levels
to set goals.

So I can't resist giving my opinion :-)

(1) Security. I would like peace of mind that things that are supposed
to be safe, actually are. Continual news of root holes and remote
exploits destroy that feeling. I want web and email without worry.

(2) Resource accountability. linux lacks controls over resources
consumed by processes. The most annoying lack is control of disk
bandwidth consumed. It allows disk heavy activity to break both
multimedia and server responsiveness.

(3) Protection from data loss. I want transparent scalable network and
cross-device mirroring. Disconnected operation of portable devices.
Whether a disk fails, or a building burns down, or I lose a phone, I
should lose no data. ever. by default. (unless I ignored the months of
annoying warnings about buying more disks/network bandwidth)