Re: design goals vs mechanisms

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: design goals vs mechanisms
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:53:59 +0200

At Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:46:09 +0200,
Alfred M Szmidt wrote:

>    The important thing however is that this happened one year _after_ we
>    talked with Bradley Kuhn at the LSM 2001.
>
> And during that year one would assume things would get up to par to
> show Bradley and FSF HQ that things are happening, they did not.
> Hence why your claim does not make any sense whatsoever.
>
> One would think if someone comes forth and says: We are planning on
> changing the kernel to Linux.  That a helluva lot activity would go on
> in the tree so that it will NOT happen, and it didn't.  So the only
> conclusion one can draw is that such a statement didn't come forth.

Yeah, sure, whatever.  If you _say_ _so_, Alfred.  You are absolutely
right.  I never met with Neal and Bradley that summer night in
Bordeaux.  We never really had this discussion about the future of the
Hurd, and we never really convinced Bradley to give us another chance
by impressing him with a Hurd system that ran the X Window System.

It's all true.  Instead, the FSF was always firmly committed to the
Hurd, and continuously supported it, and never, ever, considered to
make Linux the official kernel.

It's all true.  You are absolutely right.  I must have dreamed it.

*backing off very slowly, closing the door without turning around*