Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU

From: Patrick Anderson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 07:44:19 -0600

Miles Fidelman wrote:
> we have plenty of both FOSS Linux and BSD
> distributions, plus a few OpenSolaris varients

Very few of these fully respect User Freedom.

It would be very useful if the FSF would coordinate
a GNU/Linux distribution that both contains only
Free Software *and* is initially light-weight enough
to be used on constrained hardware yet with the
potential for the user to easily add the extra whiz-
bang features they may want on faster machines.

This platform could be a vehicle for spreading the
understanding of why User Freedom matters.

But part of this will require the FSF to buy and
maintain even more hardware than they already
own.

The FSF should also spearhead the creation of
alternatives to Gmail and Fakebook and AWS
and any sort of 'cloud' service.  The costs could
be paid in the same way those corporations pay
their costs - through advertising or whatever they
use.

But to do so would require we put some effort
into understanding how to share hardware in a
way that preserves User Freedom even as it
scales in size.

Is anyone interested in helping me tackle this
problem?

Or will we just continue to beg the corporations
and wonder why they will not do "the right thing" -
even though they are legally obligated to NOT do
the right thing, for to do so would be to allow us
the freedom that naturally eliminates the profits
they intend to perpetuate because of their ignorant
choice of investors that require that value as reward.

Sincerely,
Patrick Anderson
http://SocialSufficiencyCoalition.BlogSpot.com
http://ImputedProduction.BlogSpot.com