Re: Free Software Logo

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Free Software Logo
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 19:22:39 +0300

* Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net> [2020-10-29 19:00]:

> On 2020-10-29 8:40 a.m., Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > Did you see other logos on GNU website? That is what I meant. And
> > there is no such  thing as control of "free software logos" in the
> > context of trademarks, GNU and free software dedicated groups do not
> > follow trademark doctrines. Open source groups do.
> >

> GNU and free software  *do* follow Trademark law. See e.g.
> https://www.gnu.org/graphics/agnuhead.html
>
> "The GNU head is, however, also a trademark for the GNU Project. If you
> want to use the GNU head to link to a website run by the Free Software
> Foundation or the GNU project, feel free, or if you're using it in
> contexts talking about GNU in a supportive and accurate way, you can
> also do this without permission. For any other requests, please ask
> <licensing@fsf.org> for permission first."

Of course I know that. That is slightly beyond the point that I have
mentioned and tried to clarify. There is way how would FSF and GNU go
about the trademark violation and there is way how Mozilla or Rust
would go about trademark violations.

FSF and GNU would most probably do no legal action against
perpetrator, RMS would give few public remarks if GNU software would
be used with proprietary software. Though I do not believe there would
be court process, threats or similar. It would be in the spirit of
friendship and friendly kind of ensuring observance.

Legal option would be really the last.

I am not representative for GNU. This is my opinion based on last 20
years of observation.

--
Jean Louis