Re: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue

From: J Leslie Turriff
Subject: Re: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 01:05:45 -0500

On 2021-05-05 09:08:52 Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> To me, knowing what gets into my machine --and the
> browser is the most used for intrusion, has the attack
> surface ridiculously huge and hard to control-- is as
> important as free software and hardware. Free software and
> hardware must be safe, else my freedom can easily be
> compromised and hence it's not freedom anymore. [*]

        A long time ago, the web browser on my Amiga computer (AWeb) allowed me
to disable image
also allowed
me to view the browser cache contents to see what was being downloaded.  (One
presumes
that if the Amiga had survived, AWeb would also allow doing this for video.)
AmigaOS
also provided easy integration of scripting (using ARexx), and just about every
application took advantage of that, so filtering was fairly easy.
        "Modern" web browsers have taken away these user-friendly features, or
hidden them in
undocumented interfaces like about:config so that end users are effectively
unable to
control their machines.

Leslie