Re: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue [

From: J Leslie Turriff
Subject: Re: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue [
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 00:52:45 -0500

On 2021-05-05 03:17:41 Jean Louis wrote:
> The problem is that people working on those websites usually have
> enough money and very good Internet and they assume that all of the
> planet is the same, somehow funny when conference is planet related.

        This is a serious problem for anyone who doesn't live in a city, and
the ISPs as well are
oblivious to the issue.  Take Google, whose Gigabit Internet initiative (though
it has
good intentions) boosts bandwidth in (so far selected) cities, while completely
ignoring
rural users.  Every time there is a jump in bandwidth availability (in cities),
webmasters and media developers immediately fill that bandwidth with junk.
First we had
email, then email with embedded HTML, then commercial (90% text) HTML, then
HTML with
JavaScript, then text replaced by video clips (software manual?  Just watch our
youtube
videos!), and on and on.  For people who don't live in a city, very such
"advance" makes
it take longer to read an article, shop online, or interact with health care or
government.
        It's infuriating, and there seems to be no way to curb the trend.

Leslie