[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Fixed bad committish and es.po in spanish web site

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Fixed bad committish and es.po in spanish web site
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:03:33 +0100

Hi Daniel,
sorry for the late reply!

Le dimanche 07 janvier 2007 à 15:50 -0600, Daniel Tonda Castillo a
écrit :
> John Mandereau escribió:
> > Haven't you read the whole README? You have finished the web site
> > translation, this is very cool.  Recently, the English pages have
> > changed a lot, so you should update the Spanish translation as explained
> > in the README. That's not urgent, but it is important. I estimate it is
> > good to run "make LANG=es check-translation" once or twice a week: if
> > you don't have time to immediately update the translation, it at least
> > shows you waht should be updated.
> > 
> Sorry, I did read but should go back to it now and then, to remember it.
> I did that and indeed there's a bunch of diffs which I will attack. When 
> the command shows no output, then the whole thing is updated?

Yes, if you made sure you made no mistake with the committishes, which
- when you check the translation and begin updating the translation, you
mustn't pull until you have finished the translation update and changed
the committishes of all updated pages.
- you make sure you don't change the committish without updating the

> >> About es.po for lilypond, should it be in ISO-8859-1 or in UTF-8 encoding?
> >>     
> >
> >   
> I compiled the es.po first as UTF-8 and the terminal shows weird strings 
> in Ubuntu.
> Then I compiled the es.po as ISO-8859-1 and then the terminal appeared 
> correctly, so I guess for now, I will use ISO-8859-1.

I'm not sure it is the right thing to do.  Which terminal emulator do
you use?  IIRC old xterm versions don't support UTF-8 well, or it might
be a packaging issue.  Besides that, I hope you can expect all decent
modern Linux distributions support UTF-8 natively, that's why LilyPond
messages are in UTF-8 in all languages.  You should rather fix your
xterm configuration, upgrade it, or use another terminal emulator,
instead of give every Spanish user Latin1 strings.

What do the LilyPond hackers think of this?

> Ok, for the moment let's remove es_MX.po, and I'll work only in es.po. 

So, I'm removing es_MX.po.

> After compiling it and placing it in the proper location I tried some 
> lilypond code that would show errors to see the output in spanish and it 
> looks great so far. I also fixed some strings which overlapped in the 
> standard xterm size, so I'm attaching the diff.

It's better to conform to a conventional value (e.g. 70 or 80
characters) than to your xterm size; for instance you could follow the
value used for the original strings.

I can't apply your patch because it's not in UTF-8.

John Mandereau <address@hidden>

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]