Re: [git 17e68b85] make error in documentation

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: [git 17e68b85] make error in documentation
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:07:51 -0700

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Werner LEMBERG<address@hidden> wrote:
>>> It seems that (a) either `convert' or the file has some problems
>>> (but inkscape loads it without problems) and (b) that it has been
>>> forgotten to add a PNG version of this file.
>>
>> As for (b), I wanted to add png versions:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-08/msg00730.html
>> but I've been told off in the past for adding files that could be
>> added automatically.
>
> Basically, I agree, but the case of SVG is quite problematic since it
> relies on external fonts at certain locations.  In particular,
> `annotated-demo.svg'
>
>  (a) needs external Emmentaler and feta-alphabet fonts.  AFAIK,
>      calling `convert' as-is doesn't assure that FontConfig finds the
>      *current* Emmentaler versions.
>
>  (b) accesses the glyphs not by name but by indices (this is bug in
>      the SVG file).  Using current versions of the Emmentaler fonts
>      this fails: You no longer get proper note head glyphs but
>      microtonal accidentals instead since the indices have changed.
>      This situation is a nightmare IMHO!
>
> Can (b) be fixed at all?  This is, does the SVG format support glyph
> access by name?  Sinve SVG fonts themselves have glyph names I suspect
> it can be fixed...

Well, the current SVG backend (in master) does not embed the SVG fonts
at all, since all Emmentaler/Aybabtu fonts are converted to paths
on-the-fly.  So it can definitely be fixed.

I am willing to fix this file, but only if we are actually going to
use it somewhere.  As Graham noted earlier, we're not sure why this
example was added to master.

Thanks,
Patrick