Re: the name of your repo directory?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: the name of your repo directory?
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 06:52:18 -0700

On 12/20/09 11:06 PM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> CG 1.1.3 "Main source code" suggests putting the `master'
> branch in a dir called `lilypond/':
>
> $ mkdir lilypond; cd lilypond
> $ git init
>

> CG 1.1.4 "Documentation translations source code" suggests
> putting the `lilypond-translations' branch in a dir called
> `lilypond-translation/':
>
> $ mkdir lilypond-translation; cd lilypond-translation
> $ git init
>

> In reality, contributors working with both branches should
> have them in the same directory, right?  There's no need
> for having two repos, one for each branch, or am I missing
> something?

There's no *need*, but Jean-Charles actually has his system set up with
*three* different local repos to facilitate his working.  I assume that
John put the instructions in CG 1.4 and he uses lilypond-translation.

Translation is a challenging enough beast that I wouldn't recommend changing
the instructions.  As users become comfortable with translation, they can
customize it to meet their own needs.  As it is, I'd recommend that the CG
stick with the current instructions.

> Also, the `~/lilypond/' dir is for the installed program
> files, so I keep my repo in `~/Repositories/lilypond/', as
> if I have other repos that I'm working on (I don't).

My model in the past has been to install lilypond for all users, so it
*doesn't* end up in ~/lilypond.  This may be a problem for lilycontrib.tcl,
since it has ~/lilypond hard-coded.

> But even so, referring to the repo dir as `lilypond' is a
> little misleading, no?  What do you guys use, `~/lilyrepo/'?

Personally, I use ~/lilypond-working (a decision I made a long time ago,
when I had no idea how to use git and I was just feeling my way through).
If I were starting over again now, I'd probably use ~/lilypond.

HTH,

Carl