Re: Autobeaming

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Autobeaming
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 12:40:42 -0000

Carl Sorensen wrote Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:27 PM

On 12/29/09 8:41 AM, "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden> wrote:

I think I've got a consistent idea now. I think I can add a property
(probably 'details to avoid namespace pollution, but maybe
timeSignatureDefaults) to the TimeSignature grob.

Then I can use standard /override and /revert to set the autobeaming rules.

What do you think of that idea?

Joe pointed out that TimeSignature was unsuitable as
the beam settings had nothing to do with the appearance
of the time signature.  Perhaps a better alternative
would be to define new properties of Beam (in beam-interface)
to hold the parameters which determine when the beam
should terminate.  The time-signature-dependent defaults
of beatLength, measureGrouping and beamGrouping could
be set up as defaults of the Beam grob whenever the time
signature changed, and would then be available to be
overridden/reverted as properties of Beam anytime before
any beam grob was created.  This would make it easy to
change the beaming within a constant time signature.
For varying time signatures changes could still
be made via \overrideTimeSignatureSettings.

Trevor