Re: Remove special case in staff-spacing (issue4188051)

From: k-ohara5a5a
Subject: Re: Remove special case in staff-spacing (issue4188051)
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 07:16:08 +0000

On 2011/08/02 21:29:24, Janek Warchol wrote:

It does the things i hoped for for ages :)

It merely restores the spacing rules LilyPond had through version
2.10.20 or so.  See almost anything on mutopiaproject,
<http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=994>

I also see some differencies in logs of several tests,

These are two regression tests I changed in the patch,
and those tests that engrave to a different number of systems (lines)
because of the patch.

The problems i see:

Now you are talking about changes beyond restoring the old behavior.
One of us might have to take the train to the library and check what the
engraving textbooks have to say.

note-head-chord [...] it's gone a bit too far in this case.

We could adjust the spacing parameters.  Do you think the gap is to
small because it is between bar-line and note-head, as opposed to
accidental?  or, is the minimum gap simply too small?

\relative c'' \new GrandStaff \with {extraNatural = ##t } <<
  #(set-accidental-style 'modern 'Score)
   {aisis1 ais <c d> q }
   {g1 g1 <g f' g>2 q q1 }>>

What rules would describe how you would space the score above?

predefined-fretboards-transpose [...] too crowded now.

I agree, but the spacing parameters allow this.  Try
  \new FretBoards \chordmode {c,2 c, c,1 c,}
The code before the patch added extra space inconsistently.
If we want to have the space consistently, we can
  FretBoards #'extra-spacing-width = #'(-0.5 , 0.5)

http://codereview.appspot.com/4188051/