Re: Server at Paris VIII

From: James
Subject: Re: Server at Paris VIII
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 17:00:03 +0100

Hello,

On 14 May 2012 14:56, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 14 mai 2012, at 15:40, Graham Percival wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 02:25:29PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
>>> Hi Graham,

>>> So, who should be initially given access to this server?  Mike and you?
>>> A subset of Mike, you and me?
>>
>> I'd rather not touch it if possible -- I spent a moderate amount
>> of thought+effort into the Patchy system specifically because I
>> wanted it to be decentralized.
>>

> The main reason I want the server at Paris VIII is so that people can use it
> without tying up their home machine.  Ideally, it'll just ping them whenever
> it's done.  This'll be really helpful for me - I often have heavy processes
> running on my MacBook Pro and builds slow them down.  So the goal is still
> for it to be decentralized but to have one pole in Saint-Denis for those who
> don't have enough spare processing power to run patchy regularly on their
> home machine.

I don't mind continuing running test-patches, it might be just as easy
for most patches to just get set up as patch-new and wait for me to
test them than a dev fuss with ssh logins and running their own,
waiting to be pinged so they can check. The idea of test patchy
remember was to take the admin off of the devs so they could get
devving. It just depends I guess on what they are testing. Either way
I don't mind continuing to do it.

Now that John M is going to run patchy-merge, I've got a hunk of
relatively powerful iron not doing much at home. I have the luxury of
being able to test a patch in less time it takes to grind beans to
make a decent cup of coffee, it just depends if someone is doing
incremental changes and wants to see what a line here and there would
look like for the reg tests - but I am sure there are better ways to
do this for experienced devs. My point is that it might be more hassle
to ssh and test your own patch than just throw it up on the tracker
and let me find out that it barfs or passes.

Just depends on how quickly that dev wants feedback.

ALso I am not sure if testing your own patches and changing them to
patch-review is 'good form' and I am not available during the day to
test patches (weekends accepted) so..

I saw (USA?) Colin had started to test patches as well and there is Mr
Phil too. So I think we're pretty well covered.

James

PS @Graham and JM, I'll disable my Patchy-merge this evening, it will
run one more time around 18:00(ish) BST.