Re: Meeting 2nd half of August!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Meeting 2nd half of August!
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 19:19:06 +0200

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> Colin Hall wrote Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:44 PM

>>> I have one.  It may sound absurd, but then I have learnt "once you ruled
>>> out the impossible whatever remains however improbable might be
>>> effective", and there are a few things that somehow or other appear to
>>> be hard, particularly for me.  Decent communication in electronic media
>>> is one of the things I am spectacularly bad at.  One thing that has
>>> turned out to be effective at times is meeting people in person.
>>
>> I think this is an excellent idea.
>
> I agree; although I'm afraid I can't be present.  I'm not really
> a core developer, so couldn't contribute much to the discussion
> anyway.

The idea of workshopping is to open perspectives.  It is not like
LilyPond itself is documented in a degree where you can get a full
picture just by looking at it.  The grounds are nice around here, and
there is recording and Midi equipment that might be nice playing with
and several instruments (accordions, keyboards, guitar, and if there is
interest, I can borrow back my violin from my mother).

The nicest regular TeX conference I know is in Bachotek, Poland.  There
is just a single track but over five days, and if you instead meet with
others, run in the vicinity, go swimming, meet with song and beer at the
bonfire and so on and so on, you can get a lot of thinking and not
thinking done.  It is basically in the middle of the woods.  A lot of
celebrities in the TeX world turn up there again and again.  It is more
about the community building than the technical aspects, but then
technical decisions and presentations and coordination also happen
there.