Re: [Lilypond-auto] Patchy email

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Patchy email
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 12:32:02 +0200

Il giorno mer, 18/07/2012 alle 09.27 +0200, David Kastrup ha scritto:
> Well, now the accumulated mess in master is final, anyway.  I have
> bumped staging to match it, so nothing is blocked anymore.  I am not
> really interested in checking the consistency of all that since it
> consists of manually messing with the results of makelsr, and I have no
> clue about that.  It is likely to work at least until the next run of
> makelsr.

All this mess results from ignorance and "broken implementation" (I mean
here scripts malfunction with respect to documentation) of policies,
management of staging/master on my side and mangagement of
snippets/makelsr on your side, and we both have an "excuse" for this
ignorance:

- makelsr does not work as advertised in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/adding-and-editing-snippets
before as well as after last change to makelsr, it unconditionnally
removes every .ly and .snippet-list files in Documentation/snippets,
which is not what you want when you'd like to update one snippet from
Documentation/snippets/new into Documentation/snippets without
downloading and unpacking tarball from LSR web site.

- I have not found anything in the CG that says that history rewrite is
allowed in staging in order to eliminate/squash/edit commits that break
build, and so that you should make sure to keep your commits safe in
your local tree until they reach master; this is a smart feature allowed
by Patchy/staging/master system, but I realized it after your messages
tonight; this morning I found discussions in the list archives about
this, when I was completely idle in LilyPond development, so my next
patch will be documenting this in the CG.

Sorry for bearing with my move to a more disciplined developer from a
hybrid of pyromaniac and fireman of the build system I used to be :-P
John