Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS or not

From: Bernard Hurley
Subject: Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS or not
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:23:20 +0100

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:48:13AM +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> Take this as the result of a quick reading of the summary. My comment
> as a non-expert is that probably a good, reliably working convert-ly
> is a substitute for syntax stability,

I disagree. For one thing it is often very difficult to map new syntax
precisely onto an old.
There are bound to be people who use lily in a way that the designer of a
syntactic construction did not expect because
they find it "works for them." So even if all the expected uses convert
properly that is no guarantee that convert-ly
will work from the users point of view. Many people are put off using a program
by even one perceived hassle.

I have a lot of ancient lily files that contain things like bits of scheme I
wrote just to get a particular effect in a
particular instance. I ended up recoding some of them from scratch because it
would have taken too much time doing
anything else.

Languages that have a stable core tend to last a long time. It is still
possible to compile and run the vast majority of
COBOL programs that were written in the 60's. Most of the problems that do
occur are down to the i/o of modern computers
being different. But this is the sort of problem a user would expect. It is
unexpected problems that appear to happen
for no apparent reason the annoy users.

The idea of a stable core that is never changed, except for very very good
reasons is excellent. It could be added to as
various other parts of the program developped. If the core were large enough
for 'good enough' scores to be written for
most of the repertoire, but forgetting about arcane ancient or contemporay
notations, then a site like Mutopia could
merely require that this subset of the language be used.

Users who want scores of reasonable quality that they want to be able to re-use
in the long term could use the stable
core, whereas users who want to use all the latest bells and whistles would be
able to use the unstable parts of the
program in full knowledge that this could lead to problems later.

Bernard