Re: LilyPond in Debian

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: LilyPond in Debian
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 16:46:27 +0200

Am 12.09.2017 um 14:09 schrieb Knut Petersen:
> Am 12.09.2017 um 11:38 schrieb Urs Liska:
>> Hi Knut,
>>
>> thank you for the script.

>>> Urs, building guile 1.8 is a pretty trivial and fast process. Just do
>>> it and don't care about debian
>> OK, I see how you build Guile directly into the LilyPond build
>> directory, and building Guile worked on first attempt.
>
> Fine
>> I notice that upon each execution of the script Guile will be erased and
>> rebuilt from scratch. Am I right to assume that I could skip this step
>> for following builds?
> Yes
>> And more, can't I build Guile once, into some other directory and rather
>> than rebuilding it each time place a symlink into the LilyPond
>> installation directory? This would be very useful as I tend to have
>> multiple builds in parallel.
> Multiple builds of lilypond at the same time?

Yes, definitely. I often (at least in times when I'm actually working on
stuff in LilyPond) have multiple builds side-by-side. For example one
from current master and others from different open branches or even from
earlier releases. Actually Frescobaldi even has got explicit support for
this upon Janek's request.

>>> Attached you'll find a script that builds guile and lilypond from
>>> local copies of their git repositories.
>>> Obviously you'll have to adapt some paths defined and and used in the
>>> script (LILYSOURCE, GUILESOURCE, LILYROOT) first.
>>>
>> I did so (and commented out make doc for now). First compilation failed
>> due to missing dblatex, but the second one failed with an error I didn't
>> really understand. Attached you'll find the tail of the build log - any
>> ideas what is wrong and what I can do?
>
> After the failed build:
>
> cd  /home/urs/git/lilypond/source/build/scripts
>
> Does out/lilypond-invoke-editor exist? Is it executable?
Yes.
If that is relevant there is also an out/lilypond-invoke-editor.1 which
is not executable and has size 0.

> Does /home/urs/git/lilypond/source/build/scripts/build/out/help2man
> exist?

Yes, and it's executable as well.

> If out/lilypond-invoke-editor exists and is marked to be executable:
> What does  'sudo strace out/lilypond-invoke-editor --help 2>&1 | grep
> guile | grep openat' tell you?

Nothing.
The output without the last grep is attached.

>From what I can guess and see in the build directory there is no
directory share/lilypond/share/guile/site, only
share/lilypond/share/guile/1.8. But I can't really make anything from that.
Also share/lilypond/lib64 is not present, only share/lilypond/lib.
I have the impression later errors are when looking for Guile files in
the default places.

Does this help any further?
Urs