Re: 2.20 where are we?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 2.20 where are we?
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 11:22:50 +0200

Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

> So let me get this straight.
>
> It's not the case that GUB is completely broken. We can still build
> releases.

It's not broken _yet_ because Python 2 is still more or less available
and of course we can keep using it (ignoring security issues) as long as
we want.  This will hit the native builds first.  There have been some
hits concerning Ghostscript that are currently in check but may come
back.  Also some other issues.

> DK is working steadily to cherry pick items for 2.20.

I'd not use the label "steadily" here.

> Python 2 to Python 3 is a major issue.
>
> So, I offered to do the 2->3 port a long time ago but circumstances
> prevented me from doing so. Would it be constructive if I launched
> into that aspect? I cant understand the lilypond internals code but I
> have extensive Python experience.
>
> Would this be helpful to moving forward?
>
> But have people already started on this, I thought?

Kurt had started on it but asked for help getting more done.  I don't
know to what degrees others have actually stepped in also, but it's not
like one could not share work by arranging who ports what.