Re: SMuFL name mapping update, 8 September

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: SMuFL name mapping update, 8 September
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 14:25:04 +0000 (UTC)

> After a rather long hiatus, here's the next batch of glyphs (Script
> glyphs): https://wolfgangsta.github.io/emmentaler-bravura/.  [...]

Again many thanks for your investigations.

* about signum congruentiae: I agree with you that the exact shape is
  not significant since the variety of this symbol is very broad.

* about `trill_element` vs. `trillelement`: This was changed by Han-Wen in
  commit c49e0fd544f (dated 2004) without any log messages.  It looks
  like an oversight that `trillelement` wasn't removed then.

* About the rotated wiggle glyphs in Bravura: Do you have any idea why
  this is so?  If not, can you please ask the SMuFL people?  It looks
  definitely wrong to me!  They should either correct the font or
  provide glyph name aliases for horizontal typesetting (assuming that
  glyph names, once introduced, can't be changed any longer).

  There are far too much annoying things in OpenType for vertically
  typeset scripts due to backward compatibility issues caused by
  incapable typesetting systems.  IMHO, today the proper technology
  exists to avoid the need of horizontally composing glyph strings
  that must be rotated afterwards.

* In your table I don't see a Bravura glyph
  `ornamentZigZagLineShortened`.  Is it really shortened that much so
  that you no longer can see it? :-)

I agree with all your other conclusions (and lack of knowledge to add
more comments).