Re: Gregorian notation - augmentum problem

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Gregorian notation - augmentum problem
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 01:18:56 +0100

Dear David,

thanks for looking into this.

> Last night I was going to suggest that you switched timing off, until
> I saw you'd mentioned CadenzaOn, so I didn't bother.

I removed cadenzaOn as it 'eats' some augmentum dots (cf. reply to Michel).

> AFAICT the reason the linebreak occurs before the augmentum is not to
> do with the words (there aren't any) but that that is the last time a
> measure ends when a note is not in progress.

That's what I guessed and your snippet shows it clearly.

> Now I don't know what your overall intentions are, so any suggestions
> on this list could be a waste of time as they may conflict with your
> constraints, as yet hidden from us. It certainly won't coincide with
> my own idiosyncratic way of writing chant which is designed for
> singing from, not for any sort of beauty.

The real background for me is to get something automatic from gabc [1]
input to ly input. My test case is [2] as mentioned in the reply to
Michael. There are also my remaining questions. Ideally, I would not
have to modify the auto-generated ly code. That's why I hesitate to
insert breaks.

To answer two questions that might arise here:
Why not use gregorio then? Because I like LilyPond and I could mix
gregorian and modern staves.
Why use gabc then? Because it is easier to write than the commands
needed in LilyPond.

> Assuming you're trying to do something like ยง2.9.4 in the Notation
> manual (for 2.18.2), but obviously removing the \break therein,
> what doesn't work for you?
>
> Also what's the purpose of your second (conventional-style) staff
> in your example? Is it a diagnostic aid, or part of the final score?

Just a diagnostic aid to see what your snippet above
(Completion_rest_engraver) shows in a better way.

Cheers,
Joram

[1]: http://home.gna.org/gregorio/gabc/
[2]: http://home.gna.org/gregorio/illus/complet.png