Re: Testers wanted

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: Testers wanted
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 18:28:12 +0100

On 29 Jul 2021, at 09:57, Knut Petersen <Knut_Petersen@t-online.de> wrote:

> On 29.07.21 02:41, Michael Hendry wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Knut.
>>
>> Now that I’ve settled in to my new iMac (64-bit, X86 processor, Mac OS
>> 11,5.1) I’ve got all my usual utilities running in the new environment
>> except lilypond and Frescobaldi.
>>
>> Pre-compiled binaries for this computer aren’t available, so I’ve cloned the
>> source code into my ~/git_stuff directory as follows...
>>

>> checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
>> configure: error: in `/Users/michaelhendry/git_stuff/lilypond':
>> configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
>> See `config.log' for more details
>> ******
>>
>> Am I naive to think this should “just work”?
>
> Well, to build lilypond  you need a working toolchain, and a working cpp is
> definitely part of that toolchain needs.
>
> Maybe you should have a look at
> https://gitlab.com/marnen/lilypond-mac-builder if you want to build lilypond
> on your mac
>
> Knut

I do, in fact, have a working copy of cpp, but in /usr/bin/cpp, not in /lib/cpp.

I should be able to create a /lib directory and put a link in it, but Big Sur
is very protective about the root directory, and I haven’t worked out how to do
that.

In any case, it’s usual for git compilations to use the path on the local
machine to establish that the necessary tools are present and not to enforce an
absolute location for any given tool.

Unfortunately, widespread gripping hasn’t revealed a suitable place to specify
the location of cpp. I have a feeling there’s a facility to override default
locations when running .configure (for instance) with a command-line argument.

Meanwhile, I’ll have a look at mac-builder.

Thanks,

Michael