[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Tue, 13 Jul 2021 22:54:08 +0200
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/78.10.2
below you find links to four lilypond installers. These
installers contain LilyPond version git ee4513cb238cc (2.23.4)
plus an additional patch that implements a new backend based on
cairo. All installers were built with a modified version of GUB.
Cairo 1.16.0 with Pixman 0.40 are used to produce the output
OS X 10.4–10.14, Intel x86 CPU, 32 bit
2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10
x86, 32 bit
64, 64 bit
I tested the Linux installers, but I own neither a Windows nor a
Mac OS X system. It would be nice if some people could test the
installers and the lilypond system they provide. I'm especially
interested in answers to the following questions:
- Does installation work on your system?
- Does the cairo backend produce valid output?
- Is font handling ok? Also for asian fonts?
- Don't forget to include a short description of your system in
How to test:
Select the desired output formats by any combination of the
'--pdf', '--ps', '--png' and '--svg' command line options and add
-dbackend=cairo'. The '--svg' option must precede the
If the cairo backend is selected lilypond produces output files
with cairo.ps, cairo.pdf, cairo.png and cairo.svg extensions.
- Faster than all other backends (at least on linux systems)
- Files that fail with the svg backend produce valid svg output
with the cairo backend.
- You can produce all output files in one run of lilypond
Known problems / limitations:
- The cairo backend is _experimental_ code.
- Only setting of standard PDF metadata tags is supported
('Author', 'Title', 'Subject', 'Keywords' and 'Creator').
'Creation Time' and 'PDF Producer' are set automatically.
- A lot of seldom used pdf features are not supported (e.g.
embedding the lilypond source file into the pdf document). There
is also no support for cropping, clipping, and all features that
depend on ghostscripts extensions of the postscript language
(gs-nevern-embed-fonts, music-font-encodings, etc ...)
- Internal page hyperlinks: If page is a forward reference (a
link to a page that has not been generated yet) cairo silently
fails to generate correct hyperlink. As this behaviour is not
documented I tend to believe that it is a cairo 1.16 bug, but I
have to verify that assumption.
- SVG files produced by the cairo backend are bigger than SVG
files produced by the svg backend.
- PNG: -dresolution=dpi works, but I do not care about other
parameters for now. A rgba with transparent background and 8
bits per channel is generated.
Re: Testers wanted, Thomas Morley, 2021/07/14
- Testers wanted,
Knut Petersen <=