lmi

Re: [lmi] Problems with the Cygwin build

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Problems with the Cygwin build
Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 14:43:59 +0200

On Tue, 7 May 2019 12:39:59 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2019-05-07 12:21, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Tue, 7 May 2019 12:00:49 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
GC> >
GC> > GC> On 2019-05-07 03:07, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > GC> Our decision is to abandon and eradicate lzma.
GC> >
GC> >  Unfortunately I'm not sure this is going to suffice: xmlwrapp uses
GC> > pkg-config to find libxml2 and lib[e]xslt too and is probably going to
GC> > suffer from the same problem if the workaround with setting PKG_CONFIG is
GC> > not used.
GC>
GC> Later today I'll be able to look into this.
GC>
GC> Let me just ask a couple of questions now:
GC>  - If cygwin has now broken normal usage of pkg-config, then should
GC>    xmlwrapp still depend on pkg-config, or should it use some other
GC>    way of finding libxml2 that's more robust?

 I disagree with the premise that Cygwin has broken it. It's an
incompatible change, sure, but it does make sense. And using pkg-config is
absolutely the right thing to do under Unix systems, quite independently of
what Cygwin does.

GC>  - Given that lmi compiles xmlwrapp's sources the same way as any
GC>    of its own sources, does this issue even affect lmi?

 Oh, I completely forgot about it. This definitely doesn't affect lmi.

 Sorry for a false alarm,
VZ