lmi

Re: [lmi] Problems with the Cygwin tests

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Problems with the Cygwin tests
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 02:05:23 +0200

On Wed, 8 May 2019 23:59:18 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> The acid test, of course, is seeing whether it works in cygwin,
GC> with those changes and the others discussed below.

 Oops, I've somehow forgot to forward you the report from Ilya about the
tests passing now. I do have to qualify it with a remark that this was done
using a slightly earlier commit with local fixes slightly different from
what you applied, but I think the differences should be immaterial.

GC> On 2018-07-30 12:26, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> | FWIW I think the best is to run the GUI tests in an isolated VM, e.g. I do
GC> | it by ssh-ing into my lmi VM and launching the test from ssh session.
Under
GC> | X it should be also possible to use Xnest to run it on its own isolated
GC> | display. Or maybe just open a second (real) X session on a different VT
and
GC> | run it there (but I haven't tried this).
GC>
GC> I tried looking into that a few weeks ago, but all the other
GC> improvements in the build system were more important, so I never
GC> figured out how to make 'xnest' work with 'gui_test.sh'. Would
GC> you have the time to do that for me?

 I've added it to my TODO list but I can't really give an ETA for it right
now...

GC> > GC> The idea is that all unit tests succeed all the time, so filtering out
GC> > GC> everything that worked correctly leaves nothing: "no news is good
news".

GC> >  Sorry to insist, but I really don't think it's the best approach. IMO
GC> > normal output should be clearly separated from the error output.
GC>
GC> You certainly do have a point. But I don't see any simple way to achieve
GC> what you would like.

 Sorry, I'll have to think more before answering this. For now I'm just
posting this reply to let you know about the tests successful run. And,
FYI, Ilya will try to run them under WSL next.

 Regards,
VZ