lmi

[lmi] Mounting proc and devpts for chroot [Was: Using Git submodules for

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Mounting proc and devpts for chroot [Was: Using Git submodules for the dependencies]
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 20:05:35 +0000

On 2019-09-21 21:48, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
> http://www.tt-solutions.com/en/articles/install_centos_in_debian_chroot
[...]
>  Please let me know if anything in this small guide is unclear or doesn't
> work for you.

It seems clear, but I've run into a tangentially-related problem so I'm
hijacking this thread.

I hadn't yet set up these filesystems for my new bullseye chroot on my
new buster installation. Running lmi's unit tests failed thus:
  tee: /proc/self/fd/14: No such file or directory
so I figured I'd better mount them, thus:

/home/greg[0]#schroot --chroot=bullseye0 --user=root --directory=/
/[0]#mount -t devpts -o rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600 devpts /dev/pts
/[0]#mount -t proc -o rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime proc /proc
/[0]#exit

Now the 'nychthemeral_test' script runs successfully, but I can no longer
run lmi under wine. The command line where I started it just freezes (and
needs a few Ctrl-C's to regain control), and no (wine) lmi GUI appears.

I speculate that it was rude, while an schroot session was running,
to schroot in as root and change those mounts. But if I terminate all
chroot sessions and then restart one as my normal userid, I see the same
symptoms as reported above. Furthermore, trying to run 'winecfg' also
produces the same symptoms: no GUI, and it takes some time for Ctrl-C
to get control back.

`mount -a` doesn't fix this; neither does
  systemctl daemon-reload

For my old buster chroot on my old stretch installation, I had this in
/etc/fstab:

devpts /srv/chroot/lmi-buster/dev/pts devpts
rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
proc /srv/chroot/lmi-buster/proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0

so now I'll try adding the same lines (with '%s/lmi-buster/bullseye0/'):

devpts /srv/chroot/bullseye0/dev/pts devpts
rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
proc   /srv/chroot/bullseye0/proc    proc   rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0

to fstab and rebooting.