lmi

Re: [lmi] Using Git submodules for the dependencies

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Using Git submodules for the dependencies
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 15:34:32 +0200

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 12:36:09 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2019-09-23 21:38, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 18:48:10 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
GC> > GC> I think we need copies rather than pointers. Our corporate server
blocks
GC> > GC> almost everything except github.
GC> >
GC> >  OK, but we already have most of things on GitHub. I can create
GC> > repositories for the ones that are not available there, but it just seems
GC> > strange to have them under my "vadz" account namespace. I remember your
GC> > misgivings about creating GitHub account, but maybe I could create another
GC> > account myself somehow more appropriate for these repositories?
GC>
GC> Sure.

 Is there any particular account name you'd prefer? I believe you didn't
want to use "lmi" (which is already taken by "National Land Survey of
Iceland" anyhow) and I'm not sure what else could we use.

GC> Now that I'm digging into this more deeply, I noticed:
GC> > GC> scl enable rh-git218 bash
GC>                            ^^^^
GC> "bash"?

 It could be any shell or even just "make", too.

GC> We want zsh. So I guess we could do something like this:
GC>
GC> sudo su -
GC>
GC> cat >/etc/profile.d/use_git218.sh <<EOF
GC> #!/bin/zsh
GC> source scl_source enable rh-git218
GC> EOF
GC>
GC> chmod +x /etc/profile.d/use_git218.sh

 Yes, this should work. And I didn't even know about scl_source, I just did
"source /opt/rh/whatever/enable" directly before -- but scl_source is more
flexible.

GC> Why do they say "you cannot disable the collections thereafter"?

 I'm not sure who says this?

GC> I'm a sudoer, so I should be able to do anything; surely I could
GC>   rm /etc/profile.d/use_git218.sh
GC> and then the collection would be disabled?

 Yes, of course.

GC> > GC> But is that likely to break anything else?
GC> >
GC> >  No, it won't. Just to be clear, "scl enable <collections...> <command>"
GC> > launches the command in the environment where collections can be used,
i.e.
GC> > it sets up PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc accordingly. Outside of this
GC> > particular bash session, nothing changes whatsoever. Installing an SCL
just
GC> > dumps its files under /opt/rh.
GC>
GC> I haven't logged in to the server to try this yet, but...couldn't
GC> I just set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH myself (in my own ~/.zshrc e.g.)
GC> and not touch anything like /etc/profile.d ?

 Yes, sure. I'm a bit lost here because I don't know where did the idea of
modifying /etc/profile.d come from. It can be done if you want to enable an
SCL for all users on the system, of course, but it's by no means necessary
to do it if you're prepared to enable it for the individual users who need
to use these SCLs.

GC> Then wouldn't it be even easier to set up an alias like
GC>   alias git="/opt/rh/rh-git218'
GC> in our own ~/.zshrc ?

 This should be "/opt/rh/rh-git218/root/usr/bin/git", but it won't work
anyhow because LD_LIBRARY_PATH wouldn't be set correctly. And while you
could set it manually too (and also PERL5LIB, required by Git commands
written in Perl), I just don't see any advantages to doing it compared to
using scl[_source].

 Regards,
VZ