lmi

Re: [lmi] Mounting proc and devpts for chroot [Was: Using Git submodules

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Mounting proc and devpts for chroot [Was: Using Git submodules for the dependencies]
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 21:37:43 +0000

On 2019-09-23 20:05, Greg Chicares wrote:
[...]
> I hadn't yet set up these filesystems for my new bullseye chroot on my
> new buster installation. Running lmi's unit tests failed thus:
>   tee: /proc/self/fd/14: No such file or directory
> so I figured I'd better mount them, thus:
>
> /home/greg[0]#schroot --chroot=bullseye0 --user=root --directory=/
> /[0]#mount -t devpts -o rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600 devpts /dev/pts
> /[0]#mount -t proc -o rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime proc /proc
> /[0]#exit
>
> Now the 'nychthemeral_test' script runs successfully, but I can no longer
> run lmi under wine. The command line where I started it just freezes (and
> needs a few Ctrl-C's to regain control), and no (wine) lmi GUI appears.

[...adding the following lines to /etc/fstab and rebooting...]

> devpts /srv/chroot/bullseye0/dev/pts devpts
> rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
> proc   /srv/chroot/bullseye0/proc    proc   rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 > 0

That still didn't quite work, but I seem to have found the problem
by running 'winecfg': I had apparently set wine to emulate a
virtual desktop by default. In earlier installations, I had always
kept that option turned off by default, enabling it selectively
for only one or two programs other than lmi.

Now the nychthemeral and GUI tests both succeed.

I have no idea why these mounts would have affected wine, but I
can imagine that they might.

Here's another interesting thing I noticed when I rebooted into my
old 'stretch' system: I had several chroots, and /etc/fstab mounted
devpts and proc in an old chroot; but long ago I started using a
newer chroot instead, yet forgot to change /etc/fstab; however,
everything kept working just fine. That seems really mysterious,
but I'm not going to spend time investigating it.