lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] inet_chksum.c misbehaving with compiler optimisation?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] inet_chksum.c misbehaving with compiler optimisation?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:13:20 +0100

FreeRTOS Info wrote:
Just in case anybody is watching this thread:

As unlikely as this all seems, having previously isolated one file, I
have now isolated it to a single function: lwip_standard_chksum().

I have the entire applicatino running at maximum optimisation, except
this function, and everything is happy.

Put the lowest optimisation on just this single function (which is now
in its own file), and the network works, but with a lot of corruption on
the wire.
Like Kieran and Stephen, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a timing issue, too. Especially since checksumming was the most time consuming task in lwIP when I last benchmarked (aside of memcpy, but I guess you haven't changed the amount of optimization of memcpy in your tests as it often comes precompiled with the C library).

Nevertheless, to prove the function fails, why don't you run a test on random data comparing the results of the optimized checksum function with a non-optimized version? You can even let that test run for a while if you put the two functions into the same binary. If it's a compiler bug or anything in that area, this test should show it.

BTW: what do mean with 'a lot of corruption on the wire', invalid checksums or more errors?

Simon