Re: [GMG-Devel] Looking for alternative to Coppermine

From: ayleph
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Looking for alternative to Coppermine
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 08:49:30 -0600

On March 10, 2016 6:51:30 AM CST, Tom Browder <address@hidden> wrote:
>Can anyone point me to a MediaGoblin site that presents photos in
>albums structured somewhat like Coppermine?
>
>I am planning to incorporate such a service into my website at:
>
>  https://usafa-1965.org
>
>It will have some portion available publicly and some behind a
>restricted area.  The main reason for not wanting to use Coppermine is
>for admin ease and compatibility with the current web server with
>multiple virtual hosts (use NO PHP, use NO MySq => Perl or Python,
>PostgreSql or SQlite).
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Best regards,
>
>-Tom

Greetings Tom,

Thank you for your interest in MediaGoblin. Presently there are no access
controls built into the MediaGoblin software. All media and collections are
publicly viewable. Some people have worked around this by configuring
webserver-based authentication methods (such as htpasswd files) to make the
entire MediaGoblin site password protected. I am unaware of any middle-ground
approaches that restrict access to selected media. One possibility would be to
run two separate instances of MediaGoblin, one available publicly, and one
protected by webserver-based authentication, but that would require duplicating
resources and user accounts, so it's probably not a very attractive solution.

Regards,
--
ayleph