[Mldonkey-users] Re: GPL compliance, debian package

From: Ivo van Heel
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: GPL compliance, debian package
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:54:15 +0200

> For mldonkey, it is the same: I don't care about who will use its
> source files, I only want to have a good client under Linux for p2p
> networks.

That's honestly a very noble attitude and really what open source is all about:
innovation (as long as it is open). The problem here of course is the
possibility of it getting closed. As you have said, you will do your best to
keep it as open as possible. The Free Software advocates believe in a system
where everything will be alright as long as it remains open. Completely open.

I have thought about this ever since the discussion came up with the original
edonkey. I can understand both points of view to some extent. I was worried
about edonkey's closedness, but with mldonkey that doesn't seem to be a
problem. With edonkey, one has to place complete trust in the developers'
good intentions.

But strictly speaking, legally, mldonkey is a problem, of course. Morally, I
think what you're doing right now might even be best. Keep it up. It's about
time there was good multi-protocol p2p software available as (mostly) open
source. The fact that p2p protocols are scattered all over the place only hurts
everyone.

Ivo