Re: [Monotone-devel] cygwin & *.exe

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cygwin & *.exe
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:02:07 +0100

Zbynek Winkler wrote:

After that I got monotone.exe to play with :-)

Unfortunatelly it does not work :-(. Following the "getting started" trail I tried db init and this is the result:

$ monotone db init --db=$HOME/test.db
options path is MT/options
converting 2 bytes from UTF-8 to US-ASCII
converting 7 bytes from UTF-8 to US-ASCII
converting 8 bytes from US-ASCII to UTF-8
converting 2 bytes from US-ASCII to UTF-8
converting 4 bytes from US-ASCII to UTF-8
converting 25 bytes from US-ASCII to UTF-8
skipping nonexistent rcfile '/home/zbynek/.monotonerc'
skipping nonexistent rcfile 'MT/monotonerc'
executing db command

*** Error: std::runtime_error: could not open database: /home/zbynek/test.db: unable to open databas
e: /home/zbynek/test.db

**** error return code 205
**********  errors detected; see standard output for details  ***********

I am not sure why, but the executable is about 17MB big and gdb says it has no debug information. Is there an easy way to get debug build? Is there a list of main targets that one can build from the suplied sources?

I tried a couple of different locations:

$ ./monotone.exe db init --db=test.db
options path is MT/options
converting 2 bytes from UTF-8 to US-ASCII
converting 7 bytes from UTF-8 to US-ASCII
converting 10 bytes from US-ASCII to UTF-8
converting 2 bytes from US-ASCII to UTF-8
converting 4 bytes from US-ASCII to UTF-8
converting 12 bytes from US-ASCII to UTF-8

*** Error: std::runtime_error: boost::filesystem::path: invalid name "d:" in path: "d:/software/mono
tone-0.9/test.db"

**** error return code 205
**********  errors detected; see standard output for details  ***********

So I figured that there is something wrong with the path translation in the combination of cygwin and boost. Finally
$ monotone db init --db=/test.db
seems to work as it has no output.

However further testing revealed that the db was created at the path c:\test.db and not in the cygwin root. I guess those two don't really play along well. I guess the problem is that boost somehow 'knows' it is running on windows and does not use the cygwin layer for that. I'll try to look into that.

Creating the keys went ok. Adding some files too. However commit did not because the sources were at different drive so I had to move test.db to the root of that drive. I guess that after resolving the path issues it will work. I'll try the depot.cgi and network communication next.

Zbynek