[Monotone-devel] Re: cygwin & *.exe

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: cygwin & *.exe
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:58:50 -0500

Zbynek Winkler wrote:

I am not sure why, but the executable is about 17MB big and gdb says it has no debug information. Is there an easy way to get debug build? Is there a list of main targets that one can build from the suplied sources?

make clean; make monotone CXXFLAGS='-O0 -g'

should do. add CFLAGS='-O0 -g' if you want debug info on the auxiliary C libraries like lua, sqlite, adns, idn.

However further testing revealed that the db was created at the path c:\test.db and not in the cygwin root. I guess those two don't really play along well. I guess the problem is that boost somehow 'knows' it is running on windows and does not use the cygwin layer for that. I'll try to look into that.

yes. this is probably happening down in boost::filesystem, which has different behavior on windows and posix. indeed, its whole purpose is to insulate between pathname differences. it sounds like it is stepping on cygwin's feet. unfortunately those differences are built into your boost library, not just boost headers. looking at

boost_1_30_0/libs/filesystem/src/path_posix_windows.cpp

reveals that, as far as boost is concerned, __CYGWIN__ means it's "on windows", and will define BOOST_WINDOWS and switch to all that stuff. do you know which system calls / library calls cygwin intercepts? perhaps it is not intercepting all the right stuff.

I must admit, I find the notion of having users set up a c:/cygdrive and run monotone from in there (with all the resulting fighting over path names, not to mention line-ending conversion) relatively unappealing. this is why I was aiming to do a mingw / vc++ port.

-graydon