Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: current multiple heads (was Re: write access to

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: current multiple heads (was Re: write access to my public server)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:29:11 -0400

Jon Bright wrote:

We have lots of servers at a remote location that we develop on via VPN/SSH. These machines don't have keyboards, mice or monitors but would be liable to see quite a lot of "monotone bump".... they do get some entropy from HDs, network latency and so forth, I imagine, but they're otherwise fairly starved.

ah, I see.

GUID generation is flexible in this respect - it can be generated with reference to factors such as time, MAC address and so forth, or generated randomly.

ok, how about I make hook_get_nonce(), and if it returns nil or fails, we'll use the autoseeded prng (which is itself subject to the hook condition of accessing blocking or non-blocking system prngs). fair enough?

-graydon