Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: linus talk on git

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: linus talk on git
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 04:58:02 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 23 May 2007 09:51:03 +1000, Brian May
<address@hidden> said:

bam> >>>>> "Bruce" == Bruce Stephens <address@hidden> writes:
bam>
bam>     Bruce> Probably more of a win to have a combined
bam>     Bruce> date+author+branch+changelog kind of cert thing (since
bam>     Bruce> that's what you want on almost all revisions) such as has
bam>     Bruce> been suggested before.
bam>
bam> That would be good.

Actually, I'm not so sure about that.  A revision can belong to more
than one branch (there are a number of those in the monotone
history).  There are also cases where a revision has multiple authors
and dates (typically, those are merges performed by more than one).

bam> Having separate certificates for each purpose means it is not
bam> possible to track, for example, when or why a particular revision
bam> was added to a given branch. Having a branch certificate also
bam> include a date certificate and a changelog would help, I think.

Hmm, one could imagine having a (hidden?) creation time stamp
associated with each certificate.

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/