Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 10:26:53 +0200

Hi,

Richard Levitte wrote:
I just looked at the patch, and although I can see that it fixes
things for status, I think it could be taken one step further (and
thereby generalising the solution) by modifying the file_path class to
have a status cache.

Shouldn't the OS do that sort of caching? That's probably why there's no difference with local filesystems. But why does the kernel not cache NFS stat() calls? Can we somehow teach the kernel to do that caching, so we don't have to write our own?

Regards

Markus