Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 14:13:56 +0200

Hi,

Richard Levitte wrote:
Let's say that I've read the following page a few times too many:

http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/os-suck.html

   Linux sucks differently every time a kernel is released.

ROTFL, very nice!

Doesn't look so hard at first sight at least.  I'm working on other
stuff right now, so all I've time for is talk a little bit ;-).

Humpf... I've just added a 'path::status cached_status;' to any_path, with an additional which returns that or gets the status.

The problem now is, that this routine needs to *write* the status into any_path.cached_status, requiring that the any_path in question is not const, but writable. That breaks a whole lot of any_path & const xy routines. And I'm unsure if its good to remove all those consts.

Another way to do it would be, implementing all that caching inside the platform dependent 'get_path_status'. But on second thought, this isn't that simple as well, because we don't know about the lifetime of the underlying any_path class there.

Ideas?

Regards

Markus