Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 15:36:14 +0200

Hi,

Richard Levitte wrote:
Have a time_t that gets initialised when stat() is used, then compare
it with the result of time() at any use,

To really reduce memory consumption, you'd have to compare *all* cached stat results and throw away expired ones.

and if the difference is
larger than NNN seconds, do a new stat() first.  getting the output of
time() should be a fairly cheap operation.

Agreed, but the above is not quite that cheap.

I can't really say if this is really needed, since most paths should
be fairly short-lived objects...

That, and for the sake of simplicity, I'd rather like to bind the cached status to the lifetime of the any_path object.

Regards

Markus