Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:16:22 +0200

Hi,

Richard Levitte wrote:
Yes, one could argue that the kernel "should".  As for NFS, there are
a lot of crap implementations (arguably, NFS itself is crap, so...),
but if we get back to the kernel, which kernel are you talking about?

Any one mtn is supposed to run on.

I'm sure some kernels have calls with which you can tune this kind of
thing, but does it look the same everywhere?  How about in Winblows?

Is there a NFS implementation for Winblows? Or are you afraid that Windows doesn't (or only poorly) cache stat() calls to it's NTFS?

So, this is a tradeoff decision.  Trust all kernels or none, or figure
out what kernels need som extra help?

Although I'm more of a 'go-fix-the-underlying-implementation-issue!' guy, you are probably right in that caching stat() results in monotone is sufficiently easy to do.

I'll try to come up with a patch (i.e. new revision).

Regards

Markus